Once in a while, a marketing campaign can turn an artist into an overnight sensation.
This is what happened for Cody Simpson. He had a small cult following, but his label wanted to uplevel his status and generate a lot of buzz for him.
AE was the perfect marketing tool to manage this task. Here’s how the label set up and ran a viral marketing campaign using AE.
- 4,000 fans participated in the campaign
- Each fan completed a minimum of 2 activities in the contest
- 39,670+ mentions of the artist across Facebook and Twitter
- 5 Million + people were reached during the campaign
- Insights into the fans’ preferred social media (Twitter)
- Insights into top fan geographies (USA, Australia, and Canada)
The record label wanted a competition where fans would complete specific tasks for a chance to be the “Top Fan” and win a trip and get the VIP treatment for one of the artist’s future shows.
The marketing team also wanted to automate what could be a very time-consuming task of sorting data.
The campaign goals were twofold:
- Promote the new EP
- Engage their fans
Using AE to Automate the Music Marketing Campaign
AE was used as the command center for all the marketing and social activity. It helped build, track, and reward fan behavior online, automatically.
With AE, this record label was able to quickly build and track a high performing marketing campaign — without having someone spend hours trying to manage and report on all of the details.
Instead, with just a few clicks they were able to see all of the social activity, see which fans were the most engaged, and watch as the campaign progressed.
Music Artist Goes Viral with AE Marketing Campaign
The record label started by adding key widgets for the campaign from AE directly onto the artist’s website. These widgets and links were critical to the success of the campaign by helping to track and reward fan behavior.
They built a social marketing campaign using AE to take advantage of Cody Simpson’s passionate fans. The campaign included:
- Asking fans to talk about the artist’s new EP
- Having fans change their avatar photo to his album cover
- Loving the artist’s videos on Youtube
- Sharing the iTunes link for the EP
- Liking, following, mentioning him on social media
These and other tasks were used to score and rank fans, to find the ultimate “Super Fan” who would claim the prize. Fans were instantly able to see how they ranked relative to other fans, which also helped drive a social community for the artist.
As a result of the campaign through AE, the artist generated over 38k mentions on social media and was viewed by over 5 million people!
If it wasn’t for AE, the record label would not have had the tools and automated features they needed to make this campaign a success.
As they explained it:
“AE is more than just a tool for insights on fan behavior. It helped us to consolidate the tools we used into a single place and save time on day-to-day reporting. There is no other tool on the market that makes it as easy to automate and build viral marketing campaigns for music artists.”
If you’re ready to transform your customer data into insights and start creating fan engagement that leads to successful marketing campaigns, click here to start your free account.
Find out more about using data in your music marketing:
- CASE STUDY: RECORDING ARTIST KESHA REACHES 3.5 MILLION+ FANS WITH AN AUTOMATED MARKETING CAMPAIGN
- CASE STUDY: HOW A MUSIC VIDEO CAMPAIGN GAINED 14,000 CONTEST PARTICIPANTS AND 200% FAN MEMBERSHIP GROWTH
- CASE STUDY: HOW INTERSCOPE RECORDS MAXIMIZED FAN ENGAGEMENT WITH A RETRO VIDEO GAME CHALLENGE
- ARTIST THIEVERY CORPORATION GETS 1,000+ FAN INSIGHTS FROM MULTIPLE SOCIAL NETWORKS
- CASE STUDY: HOW AN INDEPENDENT RECORD LABEL GENERATED THOUSANDS OF PLAYS ON SPOTIFY
- GET MORE FAN INSIGHTS FROM SPOTIFY WITH AE’S SOCIAL LOGIN